Thursday, September 3, 2015

9/3/15 – Week 6: The Dreaded Growth Spurt


Today wasn’t quite the piece of cake that yesterday was, but I did get a little sleep in while Evan sort of napped. Then I made a turkey sandwich with one hand for lunch. We started on our walk and Julia came home so we all walked together!

Can't believe our boy is six weeks old today!!!

Friday 9/4/15 - At our 3:00am middle of the night breast feeding session, I held Evan in my arms for some upright time after we were finished. He was awake and looking right into my eyes. I wanted him to get sleepy so we could all go back to bed.

So I started singing.
I sang him his song.
Blackbird.

He was so engaged and mesmerized. He kept staring at me and smiling.
Then he would coo. My heart melted.
I kept singing.

Then I had to stop. I was crying too much to sing.
I told him how much I love him. And how long I waited for this moment.


Saturday 9/5/15 – Today we had our baby chiropractor follow up session.  It went well and we had already decided before we walked in that this was our last appointment.

Especially when we were getting ready to leave and the doctor suggested coming back for another 3 sessions.  She wanted to HANG EVAN UPSIDE DOWN to see which way his body turned so we can correct any tension.


Um, NO.

That’s just not happening.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then, we had our follow up appointment with our lactation consultant.  
This was another appointment that we knew would be the last.  After this meeting, we would figure out what works for us and take it from there.

In the moment when she recommended that I breast feed as much as possible during the day while Julia is at work, I think, “Ok, I can do this!”

But then when I do three breast feeding sessions in a row and my nipples are KILLING ME, I think, “No, I can’t do this and that’s ok.”

While I was feeding him, the lactation lady started saying some underhanded things like, “Look at Evan look at you.  That’s how you want to spend your time.  Not cleaning bottles...”

Excuse me?!
First of all, I’m not cleaning bottles.
GE is.


She also saw a problem with us giving him a 4 ounce bottle of formula after I'm finished breast feeding him.  She thought we were giving him too much and were going to stretch his stomach and he is gaining too much weight too fast.

Last time I checked, that advice is what our DOCTOR told us to do.  I think we'll side with him.

Just as I was starting to have enough and needed her to leave, she was sitting on the floor holding Evan in her lap.

And then it happened…

What looked like a MELTED SNICKERS BAR started coming out the side of Evan’s diaper…. 
ALL OVER HER LEG.

He pooped on her.
Runny, breast milk style poop.
All over her pants.

I apologized and when she went to go get paper towels, I whispered to Evan, “THANK YOU!  GOOD BOY!”
Let’s just say she left shortly thereafter!

This weekend we had our fantasy football draft.


Evan and his mama did their homework to find the best players.

Monday 9/7/15 – Ok, the 6 week growth spurt is no joke.
If you google that on any parenting forums, you will find things like “HELP!!!!!”

It includes your baby’s peak fussiness and around the clock hunger with NO sleep.  
This has been quite a labor day weekend… with our labor of love! 

It is supposed to last 3-4 days or maybe a week.  We think it might have started on Friday so hopefully we will be in the clear soon.

"Hmm, you want to sleep moms?  I'll have to get back to you on that."

Wednesday 9/9/15 – I’m in pain from breast feeding last night and then later this morning. So much pain.
I just stand there in the nursery and my boobs start to tingle all over.  
Soon that sensation feels like there are tons of needles all over my boobs.  Like they are filling up with tiny tacks.

After we were finished breast feeding this morning, Evan was laying in his crib and was cooing.  I started cooing back and realized my response was fake.

I was in pain.  So much pain that I couldn't focus my attention on him and was on autopilot. I just responded to him but wasn’t in the moment.

I don't want to feel like this.

My new thought is to pump in the morning and at night and hope to give him that breast milk in a bottle the following day. And do formula the rest of the time.  I’m going to try that and see how I feel.

What’s certainly not helping is the fact that we have been trapped inside the house.  It’s 100 degrees outside and we are in the middle of a heat wave.

So we just take walks around the house!

I want the weather to get cooler so we can take our walks OUTSIDE again.

I’m so looking forward to winter in LA!

Baby model!


No comments:

Post a Comment