Thursday, June 4, 2015

6/4/15 - Disability

This is the best kept secret in the state!

My friends tipped me off to being able to collect disability due to pregnancy. At 36 weeks pregnant, you are technically disabled in the eyes of the state of California.

Where's my handicap placard?!


I stopped working just before my 36 weeks and filed for disability on the first day I wasn't working.
(Although the disability won't kick in until I'm exactly 36 weeks pregnant.)

Somehow, the process was so EASY!

If you are thinking about filing for disability, check with your state laws and then you can likely file online.

In California, you are entitled to 4 weeks disability pay (which is a portion of your regular salary, similar to how unemployment works). If you don't use the 4 weeks of disability before the baby is born, YOU LOSE IT!

Then once he's born, I file again and depending on the type of delivery, I can get 6 weeks disability (vaginal delivery) or 8 weeks (cesarian delivery).

And after that runs out I might even qualify for some FMLA (family medical leave act) pay.

After filing online, I just had to give the confirmation receipt number to my doctor's office so they can fill out some paperwork on their end.

And voila! As of now, it's that simple! I'll let you know if anything changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment