Thursday, April 23, 2015

4/23/15 - The Inevitable WEIGHT GAIN

Today we had another doctor's visit and after the combination of getting stuck in traffic plus a miscommunication with the lab, the last thing I wanted to do was step on the scale and be weighed.

Somehow, I gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks.  Now I know everyone is different and all women's bodies will gain weight at different rates and in different increments. 

I was under the impression that around a pound per week is healthy, as is gaining a total of 25-35 pounds throughout the entire pregnancy.

Well, I know you're nosey and would like to know that I've gained about 20 pounds now and am 7 months along. 
(I can hear some of you women screaming.)
Trust me, I know I am lucky.  I have always been tall and thin and my body type isn't made to gain a TON of weight during a pregnancy.  Some women gain 60-80 pounds during pregnancy and others gain nothing at all:

P.S. She's 9 months pregnant in this photo.

I think I got the number in my head of 25 total pounds and realized that I will clearly gain more than 5 pounds in the next three months.  I've also never weighed this much in my whole life, so seeing that number on the scale can be jarring.

Thus begins the mini-breakdown.  I'm trying to be healthy and not go crazy, but I'm also not going to eat lettuce for nine months.  I like my dessert and my cookies and so does my baby goddamnit!

I am trying to enjoy this pregnancy. 
It's my first.  I've wanted this my entire life. 
I'm not eating ice cream every day but sometimes I need a sweet taste after dinner and I don't want to feel f&^%ing guilty about that!  I don't want to go crazy about this and look back and say, "I wish I didn't worry about that so much and had those few extra cookies."

I'm also looking in the mirror and am worried about where the heck this little boy is going to grow!  I feel like I'm running out of room and just started the third trimester.

So, I spoke to the doctor about my concerns, and he is completely not worried about my weight at all.  He said that 25-35 is a ballpark for my frame and size and that I am healthy and the baby is right on track for where he should be.  I should keep trying to get a little exercise by walking 4x per week, but I am not supposed to go crazy and join a gym and do activities that I wasn't already doing.

I want what is best for this baby.  If the doctor says I'm healthy and the baby is healthy, nothing else matters. I love this little boy so much.  If I had to gain 100 pounds and be on bed rest for 6 months for him to be healthy, that's exactly what I would do.

And if the doctor isn't worried, I shouldn't be worried either, right?

Why does our society make us feel like we have to stay thin when we are GROWING A HUMAN BEING?

Why are all pregnant women judged after they give birth if THEIR BODIES DON'T RETURN TO THEIR PRE-PREGNANCY SIZE WITHIN 24 HOURS?

And why do complete strangers feel like they have the right to comment on the size of my belly? 
I'm obviously pregnant.  You don't need to tell me that my belly "looks big" or that he's "gonna be a big baby" or "ARE YOU SURE IT'S NOT TWINS?"

Yes I'm f&^%ing sure it's not twins!  Leave me alone! 
My body, my baby, my business, bitch!

So here's to all the pregnant ladies, the ladies who are trying to conceive, and the ladies who are already mamas:
Listen to your doctor.
Eat healthy, get some exercise, but don't forget to enjoy this time.  You are growing a human and it's a miracle every single day.
Don't feel guilty.
Pass the cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment