Thursday, April 2, 2015

4/2/15 - The Glucose Test

Oh boy here we go...
The glucose test is generally performed between weeks 25 and 28 of pregnancy to measure how your body processes sugar. All of this is to test for gestational diabetes, which is a type of diabetes that some women develop only while pregnant.

So I had to go to the doctor and drink an orange flavored bottle of PURE SUGAR within five minutes. Then I had to get my blood drawn exactly one hour after that.

Here's the infamous drink:


First sip reaction
OH DEAR GOD THIS IS DISGUSTING. 
It tasted like kool aid mixed with five pounds of sugar. Some say it tastes like orange Gatorade, which could be true if it were super concentrated and again mixed with five pounds of sugar.

Half way through reaction
I'm nauseous. Drinking this much sugar in a bottle might sound sweet and exciting but it's now BURNING MY THROAT!


Finally, I'm finished with seconds to spare.


While I waited the hour until I had to get my blood drawn, we had another doctor's visit. 
And we got to see our baby boy!

Look at that cute little nose!!!


He was moving all around during this ultrasound because he was getting all that SUGAR!!! We even saw him open and close his mouth a few times!

The doctor said his growth is right on track. Not too big and not too small. He measures perfect for week 25!  In the next few weeks he will be the most active during the entire pregnancy.  He already kicked so much today!

And it's still early but for now his head is down and his legs are up. They said usually breech babies stay in that position the whole time. So hopefully he keeps his head down until July!

Can't wait to kiss those cheeks!

Afternoon update
I passed the glucose test! 
No diabetes for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment