Saturday, February 7, 2015

2/7/15 - RLP

Today I experienced the joys of round ligament pain or RLP or as I call it DEATH.

Ever since Thursday night, I've been feeling abdominal pressure. Well today it went to a whole new level. Julia and I tried to run some errands around lunch time and I could barely walk.

It felt like the worst cramps ever. And it also felt like the worst gas ever. And even worse, it felt like someone had shoved a bowling ball inside of me and my muscles are just now having to deal with it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening laying down in tears. The pain was unbearable. 
RLP is a common pain that occurs in the second trimester. It's essentially the stretching and thinning of your ligaments to make room for the baby. For some women it comes and goes and only lasts a few minutes. For others (especially those with smaller frames) it can last for days. We came across blogs where women said they had this for up to 5 days and were in so much pain.

I tried doing some stretches and changing positions but I couldn't get comfortable.

So go ahead and reach for the vicodin.
Nope put it down.
Reach for the codeine.
Nope put it down.
Reach for the Xanax?
Nope put it down.

You're left with tylenol. I finally took some and that helped take the edge off. I had to take another one before bed because the intense pain came right back.

Even though tylenol is completely safe during pregnancy, I was trying to stay "drug free". But after writhing in pain with tears streaming down my face, I knew I wasn't helping Blackbird or myself by being stubborn.

RLP only affects the mother and doesn't impact the baby. So poor little guy was probably hanging out in there wondering what all the drama was about. We had emailed my doctor and because I wasn't bleeding, he thought these were likely growing pains.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better because I can't take much more of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment