Today we had our first of two big tests done for this trimester.
We met with the genetics counselor and went over our family histories, etc.
Because this baby is from my wife's egg and she's 36, we qualified for extra genetic testing due to Advanced Maternal Age (which is 35 and above). I'd like to think we're still young but if we get extra tests to make sure Blackbird is ok then I'm in!
The office visit went over the tests that would be performed and they are able to review the baby's chromosomes through my blood! I think that's so awesome. Thank you technology. No amnio!
The test will check for Down's syndrome and a few other chromosome abnormalities to tell us our chances that the baby has one of them. Like 1 in 300 kind of thing. There are false positives and negatives of course but this test is pretty damn accurate. So I painlessly had my blood drawn and said a little prayer and we will know hopefully in 10 days or less!
We will also be able to know the baby's gender because they test the sex chromosome! So in preparation, we did 10 old wives tale tests from random sites on the internet.
Here are the outcomes:
1) Baking Soda Test: Add urine to some baking soda in a cup. If it fizzes, it's a boy. No fizz means a girl. GIRL
2) String Test: In this gender test, you hang a ring from a string over your belly. If the ring swings back and forth, it's a boy. If it swings in a circle, you are carrying a girl. GIRL
3) Acne: Unusual breakouts means girl. No difference in skin means boy. BOY
4) Key test: Ask the pregnant mom to pick up a key. If she picks the key up by the narrow end, it's a girl. If she picks up the key by the rounded top, it's a boy. BOY
5) Morning Sickness: This test says that if you have extreme morning sickness that lasts beyond the first trimester, you are probably pregnant with a girl. BOY
6) Tarot Card Prediction: BOY
7) Mayan Calendar: The Mayans combine the mothers age at conception, and the year of conception. If the result is an even number, it's a girl. If the result is an odd number, a little boy is on the way! GIRL
8) Heartbeat: If your baby's heartbeat is 140 beats-per-minute or above, it's a girl. Below 140, a boy. GIRL
9) Cravings: This old wives tale says if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, it's a boy. Having sweet cravings? A girl is in your future! GIRL
10) Chinese Calendar: This one is really confusing, but you enter dates of your birth year, etc and it predicts the gender. GIRL
GIRL = 6
BOY = 4
What do YOU think it is???