Saturday, September 27, 2014

9/27/14 - Egg Hunt


9 / 10

 8 / 10

I had my egg retrieval today! I was definitely nervous. I was afraid of the anesthesia and the possibility of ending up nauseous. I mean I get nauseous sitting in the back seat of a car! And of course I was afraid of the millions of other things that could possibly go wrong.
But this morning I woke up and was feeling so full. These eggs were ready to come out and I knew I had to go through with this. I remember on Day 1 being so scared of the retrieval.  Trust me, today I was still scared but after 10 days of shots, I was feeling more ready.

Our doctor is so lovely and she helped me feel at ease before the procedure. Just before they wheeled me into the surgery room, the anesthesiologist gave me a shot of something that definitely took the edge off. We can call that HAPPY JUICE.  Then, Jules gave me a kiss and they wheeled me back.

The room was big and a little daunting. I was introduced to the embryologist and I scooted onto the operating table. Then, the anesthesiologist massaged my forehead for a minute and said, "Now is the time to think some good, positive thoughts." And I thought, "Please God take care of me and help me through this."
And then I was out!

I wish I wasn't so scared about the anesthesia because it was LOVELY!!!!

Next thing I knew, I woke up in the recovery post-op area and felt pain. Oh my... it was like bad period cramps. I was so happy I was still alive and I called for the nurse. I told her I was in pain and thus began one of three pain medication shots into my IV.

Then, I was shivering at one point so they gave me extra warm blankets and then laid this crazy looking trash bag on me and that they pumped hot air into it! Genius!

A few minutes later, my lovely wife came in and sat next to me.
She said, "Well, you broke a record."
I said, "What?!?!"

We knew I had about 30+ eggs on each side. As was our experience with Jules, usually the doctor can't get all eggs that she sees on the last ultrasound. Jules had 12 in the ultrasound, but only 9 were retrieved.

Before my procedure, we took bets as to how many they would get from me.  I said around 40 and Julia said around 50.  We were both way off.

She retrieved 68.
6. 8.
That was one hell of an egg hunt!!!!

The doctor came back to see me and she told me that her previous record was in the 40s.  I blew that out of the water!

Clearly not all eggs will fertilize. A lot of them were probably too small and immature, but I believe that a lot will fertilize. We will get an update on all of our embryos tomorrow. I'm very excited for that call!

So today I'm glued to my heating pad and I'm feeling a lot of pressure. I'm taking Tylenol every 4-6 hours but am doing better than I thought I would be at this point. More updates tomorrow on these tiny embryos.

No comments:

Post a Comment